Smart phones have made it easy to store your information on your phone with ease. With it comes certain concerns of information theft. People who use your phone can easily go through your information, and forward it to their own. You would off course want to keep your data safe, and let people use your phone. By enabling guest mode you can restrict user to a particular screen by pinning them to a particular screen. Android Lollipop 5.0 & above has a built-in security feature that can be activated easily to pin your guest on to a particular screen.
Benefits of Turning on Android Guest Mode
There are certain benefits of switching to guest mode on your phone. They are:
- Guest mode will look like when your phone was first installed.
- Guest cannot change home screen, wallpaper, and settings you have put in place.
- It permits sharing of relevant information without using sharing apps.
- The same app need not be reinstalled on the main user’s account if the guest downloaded the same app on the Guest account.
After the user is done with the job, you can disable Android Guest account, and delete any information from your device the guest downloaded.
Downsides of Using Guest Mode on Android
- Guests cannot make phone calls while on Guest Mode. The Guest will get “This user is not allowed to make non-emergency phone calls” message.
- Guests can download updates for all the users in the device.
What Can Guests do on Guest Mode?
- Users can access or sync contacts, photos, download.
- Install from the Guest User’s Google Play Store to the device.
- Download data from their Google account on to the phone.
To enable guest mode on Android Lollipop 5.0 & Above
Enabling guest mode on Lollipop 5.0 is easy.
- With your finger, swipe down from top of the screen to pull down the notification bar.
- Tap your avatar on the top right twice.
- From the three icons – your Google account, Add Guest, and Add user, tap Add Guest from the three icons.
Your smartphone will switch to guest mode. To change it back, follow steps 1 and 2.
This may take some time and your phone may work slowly.
Switching back is easy. Follow steps 1 and 2 to switch back to your account. To remove the Guest, follow step 1, and then tap on Guest’s avatar, Choose ‘Remove Guest’, confirm by tapping ‘Remove’.